Thread: A caution
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Good stuff! Caution and Buyer Beware?

Rules for governing agencies change, by law, dollars to actually implement things doesn't necessarily. Having been a long time gummint employee working at the middle/lower end of the food chain I can assure you that YOUR frustrations as 'beneficiaries' or not of gummint mandates is one of being between a rock and hard place. And any and all efforts to EXECUTE a good gummint agencies' missions is hard as there is so much to do and the bucks go so far. That is like any business, made worse by the fact that is a SERVICE, one for which lots of efforts can show little result in the ends.

I myself read all my medications' prescribing information sheets every six months...I find that the 'updates' and changes for side effects are in/on the the paper before the docs would ever know about it [probably from very BROAD news coverage or lawsuits] I have found SEVEN changes regarding my 5 main meds s/e's updates in the last year--some of them major.

I get very IRKED when folks say WHY DIDN"T my DOC TELL ME? Umm, you sure he didn't or at least try to? OR maybe he assumed you would plain old KNOW...Or is lazy, or is just too busy. Some docs are very, VERY good about this, others well substantially slack. BUT, IN MY CASE? My docs KNOW I want that sample pak and unless it's a desparately needed anti-biotic I am NOT gonna start it on a Thursday or Friday...and I will be on their doorstep IF I have any reactions....I am not gonna waste a 90 day supply of something that could kill me or makes other things worse than they are.

Sorry, but I grew up Loving Dr Kildare and Marcus Welby [my docs as a kid were like that]. Docs aren't like that now, nor can or should they be. But, I'm no doormat either...What was the line from the '70's? QUESTION ALL AUTHORITY....? Well docs can't have it absolutely their way anymore, they run businesses and we are CUSTOMERS. Keep an honest business relationship and you mite get somewhere? - j

PS I think I've incorporated a lot of thoughts from lots of threads in these comments...thanks for all of your patiences.

PPS I noticed that the agressive mis-marketing of Neurontin in 2002-04 wasn't included[as a true PN med was false at that time-it was discovered to work accidentally]..that's since [sort of] been addressed but that was one true DIRECT MIS-REPRESENTATION OF a product if ever...No wonder lawyers sponsor so many ads for lawsuits? Jumping the gun for 'market edge', over safety seems to be the primary driver of drug mfrs and research...Cut out the advertising, do the testing and let the results speak for themselves! Beauty is, as it does. Wishful thinking unless lots of things are changed for sure?
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote