View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 08:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default You won't believe this...my stupid school

Let's see if I can make this short and sweet...but it won't be easy.

A little background...Noah is 8 years old and FULLY included in the second grade with a full time parapro. He uses a power wheelchair and a reverse walker.

The second graders in our school district do a short water safety/swimming course at our local high school -- I think it's maybe 7 -10 days during the year. They are bused to the highschool for a couple of hours on these days.

Today I get a message from our Special Education Director on my answering machine. She wants to know what I want Noah to do during this time since "OBVIOUSLY he can't go swimming with his class for safety reasons". She said he could go "watch" or stay at school with his parapro and do something else.

What the hell??? Why can't he go swimming? The pool is completely accesible including a lift. I think the school PT and OT should be able to figure this out right???

I haven't done anything yet...but here's what I'm thinking....I'm going to play dumb...I am going to call her back and state that "I must have misunderstood her message since OBVIOUSLY she did not say that Noah can't go swimming with his class since that would be discrimination." I'm going to ask her to call me and explain what she did mean by her message. Hopefully she'll understand that she's made a huge mistake ... otherwise I guess I'll have to fight yet another battle.

Any other suggestions for me?

Lorilou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote