View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 08:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Can relate - as can most everyone here!

Hi, Kimmy,

I see you've already seen my attempt to rebuild our "Newbie" thread - Tips for Newcomers. Ella is going to add her advice as well and then, since you're an admin, maybe you or Bobbi could make it a Sticky thread for us, so the newcomers can see it when they first come to the forum and it doesn't get lost among the other threads. Thanks in advance!

And yes, cold is a trigger for most of us. I'm a skier and, though I usually wait till the weather gets warmer, it doesn't always work out that way and I had a hard time the last two years. When my pain was at its worst, I didn't ski at all that winter - or do much of anything. It was a particularly cold winter and I lived on top of a hill - ugh! As I said in an earlier post, I don't have TN but some kind of neuritis/neuralgia that did/does react to many of the triggers. I had a problem with chocolate for a while.

Have you tried a Turtle fur or other brand of microfleece neck gator? Very soft fleece tube that goes over your head and you can pull it up over your face - hopefully in such a way as not to set off any light touch trigger areas.

Heat can also be a trigger. I know direct sunlight makes my painful area sting as if it's already slightly burned. Also, stress and/or fatigue are common triggers. I had no problem flying out to Portland, OR, for the TNA Conference until the end of the trip when my face started to ache. Did the same thing both directions and since it took two planes/flights each way and it didn't bother me on the first landing I chalked it up to the stress of travel and the end of a long day.

Have you gotten a copy of Striking Back? If not, please do order one - as I said in the Newcomer thread, it's a must read for anyone with face pain - will help you with a lot of your questions.

Glad you found us and thanks for posting your story. It will help others as they come in, and I know how good it feels to get it all down especially when you know those reading it will understand. You went through a LOT and I hope the meds continue to help and keep things under control. Do take care.

Jean
Jeanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote