View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 06:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I think this could be really important.

With further re-reading of The Mood Cure: tyrosine (an amino acid) is the unique raw ingredient that is used to make dopamine which is used to make norepinephrine and adrenaline (the catecholamines). Together the three give you your sparkle and help you respond to stress. Without them, you're negative, anxious, sleepless and obsessive, apathetic, can't focus. Okay, I know we're all short of dopamine, but what if part of the lack is due to not enough protein? What if with more protein, we'd be working at the maximum we're capable of at that time. The book suggests taking tyrosine as a supplement, but there's more to it, so anyone interested in this should probably buy the book.

The book says that depression and anxiety can be caused by the lack of tryptophan, another amino acid. I've often thought that if I could get rid of the anxiety, I wouldn't mind this disease nearly as much. It recommended taking 5-HTP which is what tryptophan turns into before it turns into serotonin. I tried it and half an hour later was throwing up. That's when I decided to just eat more protein! And was feeling definitely better and sleeping better within a couple of days. As I mentioned in the previous post, I then went to Italy so won't be able to affirm that this works for another few days.

I'm not a chemist or nutritionist, so if the above information from the book
is incorrect, I hope someone with more knowledge will straighen this out.
wendy s is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote