View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 05:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

As a survivor of multiple head/CNS injury, I deal with chronic fatigue and an interesting host of aches, pains and odd sensations. I have found acupuncture to be highly useful in controlling these beasts. Acupuncture is, for me, a wonderful compliment to my other therapies.

Some generalised statements about this type of treatment:
Many chronic pain/fatigue issues are best served initially by "frontloading" which is two or more treatments weekly for the first four to six weeks before settling to a more widely spread schedule. Many people have shared with me a similar experience.

The first treatment or two may not yield noticable results. You may even feel a bit worse and/or experience pain moving to different areas of your body.

If you eventually decide this is an acceptable treatment for you don't overdo it. Like many drug therapies, sometimes a holiday from treatment is in order. The treatment following such a hiatus is most often twice as efficacious. Give the body time to stand up for itself, in other words.

Every body is different, of course. I have been receiving acupuncture for about two years now. I typically go in every three to four weeks for a few rounds, then take a two or three month break. If I'm having more spinal issues than normal, I go once a week for a couple/three extra sessions.

I will happily go for life if it continues to help. I already get chiropractic care and neuromuscular massage and know I'm in it for life.

My injuries are old, but their impact(no pun intended) is with me for life. The trick is this: The body is always in a state of change, hence timing of therapies turns into an excercise in intuition. But those of us with chronic conditions are pretty good at hearing what our body needs, eh? Try it out and see if it works for you.

J
Fogbrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GmaSue (02-12-2009)