View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

So sorry to hear about all those falls .

Tests are:

B12 level
methylmalonic acid
homocysteine

The lab lows for B12 are usually set around 150-200, depending upon the lab, but you want a B12 level in the upper range. People with levels as high as 400, and even higher in rare cases, can be B12 deficient. Upper range is usually set around 900-1100, depending upon lab.

An elevation in either of the second two suggest a B12 deficiency even if the B12 level is in normal range. And to complicate matters more, even those can be normal. Does anyone know of a perfect lab test for anything???

The circumstance of my friends mom's fall was vague. They said she probably fell because of the AD. I guess her whole face was purple/blue from the bleeding . I was on vacation the week it happened, and never even knew until after I got back. I missed the funeral which I felt very badly about. You always think you will be there to support your friends, but within seven days time someone can die and be buried.

My own mother had a fall in the hospital when she was supposed to be in restraints or under supervision. The nurses were actually being kind to her by letting her up and allowing her to sit out in a wheel chair at the nurses station. Well, she tried to get up when they weren't looking and fell and broke several ribs .

Does your low potassium really wipe you out? My MIL has to take it by prescription. She says she feels awful when she is low. My daughter had a couple of days a few years back where she couldn't seem to get out of bed. Very tired, lots of muscle complaints, and very weepy. I finally hauled her in and all they found was mildly below range potassium. They said it wouldn't account for her symptoms, but they gave her a potassium boost. Within two hours she was a new kid.

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 10-14-2006 at 12:36 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote