View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 02:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Tayla,

I'm one of those people who resents RSD being called a pain syndrome. It's so much more than that! In my mind, saying it's a pain syndrome trivializes and calls into question all of the other major problems I've had, and that I know others have too. Sure, it's complex and sometimes regional, but it's NOT just a pain syndrome. Someday, the new name will be just as outdated as all of the others, I'm sure, and it won't be an issue. For now, I'm sticking with calling it RSD. Sometimes I think I should tell everyone I meet a different name and see how long it takes them to get confused.

Amber,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I recently read an article that suggests that neuroplasticity is not only limited to childhood and young adulthood, but I think it's pretty well known that the younger one is, the easier it is for the body and nervous system to compensate and repair itself when something goes wrong. It explains why for many kids with RSD, all that is necessary is physical therapy. Unfortunately, it's still incredibly painful...and even if it works, it's a question of whether the ends justify the means.

-Betsy
betsyherm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote