View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 07:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had great luck with hellerwork and myfascial release massage. I also see my chiropractor 1/week, i consider her a neccessary part of gettign by day to day. I have a PT who is a feldenkrais instructor, he is very good at "gently coaxing" movement by using very small motions well within your range of capability. I ahve another PT who is very experience with TOS and also has done specialized training with osteopathic doctors to develop a very "eclectic" (her words) approach. She is consitently helping me get aligned vrom the feet up, helping my ribs get more mobile, and targeting specific areas that i need to strengthen (like my butt!!!) and has really helped me find a few exercises that I can do despite my limitations.

In the end, Surgery and good surgical follow up was required to make the valiant efforts of my PT's work for me. I have also added some different medicines, after being only on narcotic for pain relief leading up to surgery. The muscle relaxer has helped, and even more, an anti-depressant had somehow relieved a very significant part of my pain.

I would suggest, too, that you get yourself screened for other possible complications- rheumatological conditions, endocinologic conditions- thyroid problems are common among us in this group- I waitied until more than a year after my original injury to get screened for it only to find my thyroid was really really out of whack. I now know that when it is out of whack i feel like someone is squeezing my back like a vice (thyroid issues are commonly known to aggravate RSI's and muscle spasms). Getting it treated has been a big help to muscle spasms, my mood and my energy level!!!

Like you, i was injured all at once- doing yoga. But that does not mean that repetetive strain does not contribute to furthering your injury. I worked through the pain for several months before stopping to go for surgery. Now that I am beginning to feel better, it is amazing to me how bad i was feeling. You forget what it is like to feel normal when you are faced with pain day after day after day.

My neurologist did botox injections to relieve muscle tightness, you might look into that. Other's do trigger point injections.

I second the idea to get your pain managed. It is critical to relieving muscle spasms- pain = clenching and protecting = loss of range of motion and muscle mass =more pain and weakness You have to find a delicate balance between keeping the strength you have and remiving activities which are hurting you- this is your best road to success. If you are confident in your PT, give it a few months to see if you feel like you are making progress. Even if you are, if after 6 months you don't feel better, you might really consider surgery. It sounds horrible, but it wasn't really all that bad, at least for me. If you are using a qualified TOS surgeon, it should be OK, and might be neccessary to help your recovery.

I also seem to be writing a book....I wish you every success. Early Dx and good treatment are key, which you've got. Many go for years with people not knowing what condition they have or how to help them.

Johanna

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote