View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 12:19 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks so much for your input, Annie! I did rewrite the fragment and the section a little bit.
I am in the humanities.
This isn't for school (yet), but for a scholarship with an ambassadorial type of purpose. And I take to heart your advice about showing them I'm ready to learn ... the good thing is that the whole theme of my essay is about precisely that! (It unfortunately didn't come through too well in that tiny snippet I posted ... I can't post the whole thing for privacy reasons, of course.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie View Post
if you are going to major in anything else, i advise keeping your head down until after you have been accepted.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one, Annie. I know grad school and scholarships like this are very competitive, but my qualifications are stellar. My epilepsy is not something I hide, not at all. On the contrary -- I want people to know that people with epilepsy can do whatever the heck they want to do. And I want to ensure that my supervisors are okay with that, have the brains to realize that my qualifications trump my seizures by far, and they're willing to get over their fears of a medical condition to have me on their team.
That said, I completely understand your point of view and know I'm taking a huge risk by disclosing so early. And as of yet, I haven't been as burned by disclosure as some others on the board. But for me, the freedom of early disclosure will allow me to start grad school with a lower stress level and enable me to look forward to learning, not to thinking about how and when to come out to my supervisors.

What do you think? I value your opinion and am so glad to be back on the boards!!