Thread: a part-time job
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 06:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default a part-time job

Hey everyone,

This message is for everyone ... ages 19 and above who are looking for a part-time job.

I recently took up substitute teaching. The cool thing is that I can pick and choose which schools I'll teach, which subjects, which grades (in case you're not like me and like high school kids!) which days, and how often. They honestly don't care if I teach one day a year, or every day of the week. It's amazing how many retirees there are. I'm also paid at least decent wages ... $70.00 a day and that's in the midwest (Houston, TX) which is considerably cheaper to live than the east or west coasts.

Our system is actually computerized. I can log on any time of the day and see if there's an assignment that I want to take. If you don't have access to a computer, a computerized phone system calls, starting at 5:30 a.m. But, even then, I can block them from calling by giving dates and times not to call. You can block out weeks or even months.

I realize that this job is not for everyone. It doesn't offer benefits (health, sick leave, etc.) but it does help get me out of the house, talk to my husband about something other than our own kids!!, and brings home a little money as well.

Off topic but I think Wrigley Field (Chicago) employs the most retirees ... they may even top WalMart (LOL)

Just thought I'd throw it out there!

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote