View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 09:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default guilt or no guilt

Wow, Harley! My heart bleeds for you.

But now another side of the story ...

I, too, had an abortion when I was 22 but I don't feel guilt and then I feel guilty that I don't feel guilt!

I also don't support embryotic research, but I would never shove it down a person's throat. To each his own.

Carey, I'm not trying to put you down, and maybe you can explain your position, but the one statement that you made has me puzzled. "Only unused eggs fertilized by in vitro fertilization

If it's am embryo, and if it's fertilized, then it is life because it has the potential to BE life.

And, Greg, your post, too, is interesting ... You state in your very first sentence "At this point, I am neither for or against embryonic stem cell research". But then further down in your paragraph you state that "I do feel that it is an area that needs to be fully explored . Allow the needed all human lines to be created and let's get on with it". I think you've confused yourself! Your post clearly states (TO ME ... I don't want to offend you or anyone else!) that you are for, and not against, embryonic research.

Okay, and now to venture a little off topic, but I'd like to ask you guys (notice that I did not say y'all!) for your opinion and honestly and truthfully seek your opinions.

I have one daughter (22) and three boys (21, 19 and 14). We have talked about sex, abortion, money, taxes, jobs, education, you name it! That open communication is what I believe has kept our kids on the right track. As a matter of fact, just last night, my daughter spent the night in Dallas with a friend ... who just happens to be a boy ... because it was halfway for both of them to drive. Do I trust her? Explicitly. In the end, even if she violated that trust, it is her choice and she has to deal with the consequences.

But there are two points that I'd like to make:

#1 - I worry more about my three boys than I'll ever worry about my daughter. WHY? Because girls are manipulative and sneaky ... They can say, "It's okay, I'm on the pill" The boys fall for it, then - surprise! ... he now has an 18 year commitment.

#2 - If my daughter ever became pregnant (well, at least until the age of 18), she knows ... and she was consistently told ... that we would give that child up for adoption. To me (again, I am not trying to offend anyone) in this day and age of "OPEN ADOPTION", there is no excuse not to do so.

I can truthfully understand having an abortion Harley, when you or I became pregnant. Do I regret it, absolutely, but I can't even fathom how difficult it must have been if you gave that child up, never to be heard from again.

And, one more question/thought. In this day and age, it is my opinion that most teenagers that become pregnant do so willingly and purposefully. I have a difficult time believing that they didn't know! I have often wondered if the boy went to court, explained that he was TOLD that she was on the pill, if he would have a case. Are there any lawyers out there?!

Moderators ... please allow these topics of discussion as long as they appear respectful.

You guys are the best!!

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote