View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I know exactly what you mean. I have never been able to sleep through the night AT ALL!!! in my entire life. I just didn't. And once I became a mother, forget it. The mind does all sorts of tricks. It had nothing to do with going to the bathroom, but I'm the type, once I'm up, I'll go to the bathroom, (just to go to the bathroom).

As I got older, and I matured, (and even I became a diabetic, and they say you get up every hour to pee), well, I never changed my eating habits.

Then one day, years ago, my previous primary care doctor said "melody, you need to sleep, take an ambien". Well, it was like a gift from heaven. Now I am not advocating sleeping pills for anybody. It's great if you can be like my husband (before his neuropathy), and he could put his head on any pillow and say "I'm going to bed". I don't know anyone else who can do that. I most certainly could never do that. I'm too wired for that.

But when I took that ambien, well it was like a gift. I went to bed at 11 p.m. and woke up at 7:30 am. Do you have any idea what it's like, when you have never slept throught the night in your entire life, to sleep all night long?? It was a gift. I told the doctor. I began to take Ambien. I slept. Then for some reason, I said to myself 'you should not become dependant on pills for the rest of your life". So I weaned myself off of them. Then a few years later, I took Lunesta. Did absolutely nothing for me.

Then (and all this time, I was having bad problems with my son), which affected my health and my mind, so who on earth can sleep when this is going on?? I started taking a bit of xanax before bedtime. Did the trick. Relaxes my whole body so I get to sleep.

Now Alan takes this to sleep also because of his neuropathy between his toes, and even with the cotton balls between his toes, well he needs something so he takes a bit of Xanax and he sleeps completely through the night. Sometimes he wakes up to use the bathroom but it's only once.

I take the 5000 of the Methyl B-12 each morning. I have no idea if that makes me sleep better but it does give me energy all day so I can go about my chores, clean the house, go shopping, cook and do stuff. I also take care of Alan. At age 60, I can honestly say that I have more energy now than when I weighed 300 lbs and I was age 40. I had no energy at 40.

So if I need a bit of something to sleep at night, at least I sleep. I can't imagine going back to the days when I would just lay in bed, my mind going over all the problems with my son. I would be up till 4 a.m. No, a person has to rest and get a good night's sleep.

Like I often say, "throw anything you want at me during the day", but let me get a good night's sleep.

Take care,
Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote