Thread: ITT: PCSVictim
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 08:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen
And in my neurological assessment I scored 99th percentile on most everything.
Hmmm. Well with 99th percentile scores I would have hoped you could figure out how to quote properly. As it stands your quoted text is very confusing. I read the whole thing before realizing that you were quoting someone else.

Just wanted to congratulate you on those scores. I hope you don't consider yourself impaired with scores like that. Although I don't remember exactly what kinds of scores I got before my first serious head injury, I think I scored pretty well with 99th percentiles on many of those tests also. Even the memory oriented ones. Of course the point of the tests was not to detect deficits due to a head trauma. They were more IQ and psychology oriented.

In the neuropsych tests that I had done a few years after my initial injury I scored IIRC in the 3rd percentile on many tests and most of my scores were below the 'mentally retarded' range. I think the only score that I had above 50 was on the serial number memory test which I have heard is often spared in head injuries for some strange reason. On some tests I was told that I set some kind of record for the lowest score of anyone he had ever tested. What an honor . On some of the tests I could give the doctor no information whatsoever. Like I remember one where he read me some kind of story and then he would ask questions about it as soon as he finished. I could remember *nothing*. Not one thing. Not one question about the story could I answer. So much for reading comprehension.

Actually part of the point of getting the neuropsych testing was to try to pinpoint my particular weaknesses to see for instance what kind of jobs I might want to avoid attempting when returning to work. The problem is I did so badly at virtually all the tests it was hard for the neuropsychologist to make any useful recommendations. He said that my biggest problem was 'learning', and that I should try to find a job where I didn't have to learn anything. We both laughed at that. And neither of us could think of any examples. I was incredulous when he actually tried to tell me that I should explain my learning deficits to my employer and ask him to try to accommodate me. Yeah. *That's* gonna happen. No problem.

I know my reading comprehension used to be good. I scored a 760 (almost perfect) on the verbal section of my SAT (in the late 80s). That probably doesn't mean much these days since the test has changed a lot since then, but at the time it was mostly a vocabulary and reading comprehension test. There was no essay at that time. So I was obviously better than most people at reading comprehension pre-injury. And now...well. My reading comprehension abilities are so low that there isn't even a score for it. So yes, you are lucky. All I did was fall over on my bike without a bike helmet, smashing the right side of my head very hard against the pavement. I wasn't even in a car accident or anything. I was always a nerdy intellectual type. Now I'm an extremely stupid nerdy intellectual type.
gojirasan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote