View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 07:10 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default funny and comforting

There's the reason why a forum like this is a godsend - after feeling like you must be the only person with such weird quirks you suddenly realize that it's all happening to others. Ice in a hot drink? Yes, indeed, and bless the restaurants who actually give you ice water. How about coffee through a straw? Just try to find a straw that doesn't immediately do an unwinding trick when the hot liquid hits it! And heat - sun - well, all the stuff I read at first talked about cold and cold wind and of course that's terrible but I felt way out of it because the sun and sweating and heat (and I'm a gardener and am outside at all times) were such problems for me. Ha! I'm not alone! Food triggers? We had quite a list at one point of foods that were troublesome for one or more of us, and I had this wonderful 10 course meal planned - starting with BobS and his melted chocolate ice cream soup. I had to adjust to eating hamburger instead of steak, but what I did was buy myself a meat grinder (no electricity so it was an old fashioned crank style) and grind my steak. Then I found I could grind other things too, and between grinding and soup and meals that cook for ages and get all sort of soft and yummy, things were ok. What do I miss? Crusty bread. I always baked my own bread, great French loaves, and I can't eat them. Or most crackers, or melba toast, or bagels (cream cheese and lox on rice is just NOT ok). I miss grapefruit a whole lot, every winter I raced to the postoffice to get the boxes of grapefruit and was cutting into one before I got in my front door! But life goes on, and to my delight I have no problem with hot peppers or garlic and that keeps the world going around.

Bring us your strange problems and I'll bet you find someone here who says, "Oh, yeah, you too?" Now I think I'll go have my coffee - with a lot of milk! Nancy
sunflower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote