Thread: PICC LINE or IV
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
Hi Di,

Did De have a Central Picc line? Because I had to have one before and I had severe complications. I believe I would rather look like a junky at this point. Thanks, Roz
Roz,
You misunderstand what I was trying to say. So sorry. It is not that YOU (or I for that matter) LOOK like a junkie, it is that our VEINS can be in a similar condition due to mutliple IV's. I do not have one done every day....I have an IV about every 3 to 4 months...and still my veins are shot.

From what has been explained to me, RSD helps to give us troubles with IV's and other things like blood draws. I can not have IV's done on my right side, due to RSD. However, RSD doesn't just affect certain limbs....it also can affect whole systems, and the circulatory system is one that can be affected. I have teeny tiny veins that are bad. They are full of valves and I don't even know what other probelms. I have some that just can't be used for IV's. However, I have been told that my veins actually open up and get some what larger after I have a block done. It only goes to reason, once you think about it, since the signs of a "good block" are a nice warm, and pinkly (or more normal, anyway) colored limb.

Anyway, I did not want you to think that I was saying that you looked like a junkie in any way. I was simply trying to explain, as it was explained to me, what happens to veins when they are overused.

Add to that, that having bad veins (as in small, or otherwise hard to get an IV into) seems to go hand and hand with RSD (again...what I have been told by doctors and medical personel that I have had over the years)....and a daily IV attempt might be a very hard thing to try, or cause more problems.

Again...I wish you Good Luck in what ever it is you decide to do, and how you decide to go about doing it.

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." ~Albus Dumbledore

Last edited by Joselita; 10-16-2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typos and such
Joselita is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote