View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 12:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
HAS ANYONE HAD A PICC LINE WITH RSD? THANKS, Roz

Hi Roz,

I only have PICC lines now as a decade of this thing has left me devoid of anything peripheral.
I have had them for up to 6 months at a time and they do have to be treated in a totally asceptic way.
The risk of infection does differ between IV and PICC in that the most likely infection from a peripheral vein is localised phlebitis but with a PICC which goes in to heart, there is more chance of far more severe systemic infections and endocarditis.
Maintaining a PICC does require staff who know what they are doing, if so hopefully you will not have complications like last time.

The PICC is only inserted by a RADIOGRAPHER under strict theatre conditions and with the aid of fluroscopy so the risk of having one inserted is not great.
The new PICC lines used these days do not all need a heparin lock but do need to be flushed through with saline once a week if not in use at the time.

Roz, if you need IV drugs every day there is no way they should be ruining what is left of your peripheral veins--you will need them for other things sometime. Please choose a PICC if you can.

Please look after yourself Roz
Love Tayla
tayla4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote