View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 11:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I must learn to be brief . . .

Good day Therese and Doreen; I can’t contain myself any longer. Wonderful to hear that the fog has lifted despite the exacerbation of that pesky tremor. Tremor may be aggravated further by the titration of Cogentin or some residual withdrawal if you like. But to take a step back – before looking at another one of the Anticholenergics: have I understood you correctly in that Doreen has never been on any of the Agonists? .i.e. Parlodel, Mirapex, Requip, Apokyn. Even having a diagnosis of PD for a decade, seeing it’s tremor dominant and slow in its progression, one of the agonists might settle it down. My tremor virtually disappeared for over 5 years thanks to Requip and later Sinemet -- it’s only the last couple of years that I was loosing my ability to type in the off-times. If you end up considering Requip, I should forewarn that it is quite sedating in my experience, but largely responsible for keeping me mobile. And I know you wrote that Doreen gets dyskenesia so I assume more Sinemet was tried and that dyskenesia was the result. Others with more experience will correct me, but it seems she’s on a modest amount of PD meds. You can tell by this point I’m no fan of the Anticholenergics – they are good for treating side effects from prolonged use of major antipsychotic medications, but are often noted to cause blurred vision and confusion. That said, there are many of them: Artane, Cogentin, Ethopropazine, Kemadrin … so if one doesn’t agree you may find another does the trick with fewer or no side effects.

Touch wood, I’m still not tremoring since starting Amantadine 100mg each morning. There is some tremor, in some of the damnedest places, but really decreased. I typed about 8 hours yesterday, which would have been unthinkable 2 weeks ago. Even the number of typos is on the decline – now it’s just bad writing I have to worry about.

So, in summary, some suggestions for the next chat with the neuro:
1. wonder if you can squeeze in another Sinemet without increased dyskenesia
2. an agonist if not tried before
3. Amantadine – my miraculous antiviral, anti-tremor
4. a gentler kinder Anticholenergic if necessary
5. hopefully you’ll get other folks testimonials re: other meds that help with tremor
6. and this is a reach - Antispasmodics (muscle relaxants) valium years ago, but there must be something less habit forming on the market now; that may offer some relief.
I have great faith that you two will win the battle and hopefully the coming days are better. Regards, Guy

PS I try to plan med changes when I have the fewest obligations and my larder is stocked to last through a nuclear war. - Could live here for 3 months without going to the grocery store. Lastly, if a drug is expensive and I’m experimenting I’ve been asking for 1-2 weeks supply. You pay the dispensing fee twice, but still save if the drug isn’t up to snuff and has to be replaced with another. – depending on your coverage of course.
wwally0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote