Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Lightbulb dearest cs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'cs View Post
They make it so difficult to get oxycontin and you become a prisoner to it, just to relieve constant daily pain caused by extremely tight muscles. My neck always feels "out of joint" as do my shoulders. Ther's no sleeping on one point for no longer than a half hour or so before tightening and muscle cramps and leg pains wake me up. Plus during the day, no matter how much i exercise, my calf and thigh muscles tense up and give me dystonic pains most of the day. But it's the shoulders that are the worst. Most days the simplest loads feel like they are pulling my arms from their sockets, and this is not responsive to taking more sinemet as it used to be. Not only that, but my wife says she has phoned my doctors and that they have said "we don't know why he is feeling so much pain, PWP, do not have pain", so this implys that i am lucky enough to get pain medication, because they are giving me "the benefit of doubt". I am sick and tired of being called a "junkie" by my wife, and every time she sees me with a beer in my hand , i'm an "alcoholic, presciption drug abuser". She says "i'm in pain too, but all i take is motrin". She is starting me to doubt whether or not my pain is "psychosomatic" and could be cured by a chiropractor. Maybe i'll give it a try. cs
dear cs, -
did your doc realize you were on klonopin when he gave you a script for oxycontin - there are many accidental overdoses daily.
be careful! here's some info - that I know you know -I will put it here for others to read...

there is a drug interaction between oxycodone and clonazepam...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drug-Drug Interactions
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/oxycontin_ad.htm

Opioid analgesics, including OxyContin®, may enhance the neuromuscular blocking action of skeletal muscle relaxants and produce an increased degree of respiratory depression.

Oxycodone is metabolized in part to oxymorphone via cytochrome P450 2D6. While this pathway may be blocked by a variety of drugs (e.g., certain cardiovascular drugs including amiodarone and quinidine as well as polycyclic antidepressants), such blockade has not yet been shown to be of clinical significance with this agent. Clinicians should be aware of this possible interaction, however.

Use with CNS Depressants
OxyContin, like all opioid analgesics, should be started at 1/3 to 1/2 of the usual dosage in patients who are concurrently receiving other central nervous system depressants including sedatives or hypnotics, general anesthetics, phenothiazines, centrally acting anti-emetics, tranquilizers, and alcohol because respiratory depression, hypotension, and profound sedation or coma may result. No specific interaction between oxycodone and monoamine oxidase inhibitors has been observed, but caution in the use of any opioid in patients taking this class of drugs is appropriate.

The safety of OxyContin® was evaluated in double-blind clinical trials involving 713 patients with moderate to severe pain of various etiologies. In open-label studies of cancer pain, 187 patients received OxyContin in total daily doses ranging from 20 mg to 640 mg per day. The average total daily dose was approximately 105 mg per day.

Serious adverse reactions which may be associated with OxyContin Tablet therapy in clinical use are those observed with other opioid analgesics, including respiratory depression, apnea, respiratory arrest, and (to an even lesser degree) circulatory depression, hypotension, or shock (see OVERDOSAGE).

The non-serious adverse events seen on initiation of therapy with OxyContin are typical opioid side effects. These events are dose-dependent, and their frequency depends upon the dose, the clinical setting, the patient's level of opioid tolerance, and host factors specific to the individual. They should be expected and managed as a part of opioid analgesia. The most frequent (>5%) include: constipation, nausea, somnolence, dizziness, vomiting, pruritus, headache, dry mouth, sweating, and asthenia.

In many cases the frequency of these events during initiation of therapy may be minimized by careful individualization of starting dosage, slow titration, and the avoidance of large swings in the plasma concentrations of the opioid. Many of these adverse events will cease or decrease in intensity as OxyContin therapy is continued and some degree of tolerance is developed.

Interactions with other CNS Depressants
OxyContin should be used with caution and started in a reduced dosage (1/3 to 1/2 of the usual dosage) in patients who are concurrently receiving other central nervous system depressants including sedatives or hypnotics, general anesthetics, phenothiazines, other tranquilizers, and alcohol. Interactive effects resulting in respiratory depression, hypotension, profound sedation, or coma may result if these drugs are taken in combination with the usual doses of OxyContin.

Interactions with Mixed Agonist/Antagonist Opioid Analgesics
Agonist/antagonist analgesics (i.e., pentazocine, nalbuphine, and butorphanol) should be administered with caution to a patient who has received or is receiving a course of therapy with a pure opioid agonist analgesic such as oxycodone. In this situation, mixed agonist/antagonist analgesics may reduce the analgesic effect of oxycodone and/or may precipitate withdrawal symptoms in these patients.

Ambulatory Surgery and Postoperative Use
OxyContin is not indicated for pre-emptive analgesia (administration pre-operatively for the management of postoperative pain).

OxyContin is not indicated for pain in the immediate postoperative period (the first 12 to 24 hours following surgery) for patients not previously taking the drug, because its safety in this setting has not been established.

OxyContin is not indicated for pain in the postoperative period if the pain is mild or not expected to persist for an extended period of time.

OxyContin is only indicated for postoperative use if the patient is already receiving the drug prior to surgery or if the postoperative pain is expected to be moderate to severe and persist for an extended period of time. Physicians should individualize treatment, moving from parenteral to oral analgesics as appropriate (See American Pain Society guidelines).

Patients who are already receiving OxyContin® Tablets as part of ongoing analgesic therapy may be safely continued on the drug if appropriate dosage adjustments are made considering the procedure, other drugs given, and the temporary changes in physiology caused by the surgical intervention (see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION).

OxyContin and other morphine-like opioids have been shown to decrease bowel motility. Ileus is a common postoperative complication, especially after intra-abdominal surgery with opioid analgesia. Caution should be taken to monitor for decreased bowel motility in postoperative patients receiving opioids. Standard supportive therapy should be implemented.
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/oxycontin_wcp.htm

warnings
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/oxycontin_od.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.

Last edited by lou_lou; 10-18-2007 at 06:41 AM.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote