View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 12:38 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Transient Epileptic Amnesia

Does anyone here know about this? I just came across it in a clipping a friend sent from a medical journal -- it's the first time I ever heard of it.

I've been to this board a few times, the first four years ago when it was BrainTalk and I had just been diagnosed with CPS after an 8-hour blackout in an airplane. The second time a little less than a year ago after the second blackout -- three hours, in my apt, during which time I somehow managed to break a rib. Again, a call of CPS, from yet another neurologist.

I didn't/don't agree with any of the doctors (now 4, including the famous Orrin Devinsky) who said CPS; the events are just too different, especially the amount of time I was out of it. All the info I got from this site, and its links, described a CPS as lasting 2 - 4 minutes; none came close to 8 hours.

I googled Transient Epileptic Amnesia (and to anyone else doing so, don't try TEA -- you'll end up reading about Darjeerling!) and found a few hits from England (Oxford) where research has recently being done. The neuros there are now classifying it as a distinct form of epilepsy, and it's symptoms are sure a lot like mine. Unfortunately, even including the residual impaired memory.

I am most intrigued and if anyone has more details, I'd so appreciate it.

Heather
HeatherH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brazjion (11-16-2012), waves (08-12-2010)