View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Susan:

You have the MARTA system in Atlanta. You use a Breeze Card to get on buses and subways, right?? We have the Metro Card.

The big difference between my Access-a-ride service and Atlanta's paratransit service is....you can only go the same route as the bus or the subway.

I just got this info off of the MARTA website.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paratransit service

In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, MARTA provides paratransit for those persons defined as disabled by the ADA. MARTA uses special lift equipped vehicles for this service and can either deliver passengers to their final destination (curb to curb service) or can deliver the passenger to the closest accessible bus stop or rail station (feeder service). In fiscal year 2006 MARTA provided 289,258 paratransit trips.[4]

The average cost to MARTA for providing a one way trip for an individual paratransit passenger is US$31.88.[12] This is much greater than the US$3.50 fare the paratransit rider is required to pay. The Americans with Disabilities Act forbids MARTA from changing a paratransit fare more than twice the normal fixed route fare.

Paratransit is limited to existing rail and bus routes and cannot extend more than a 0.75 mile (1.2 kilometer) radius from any existing route. Paratransit service is only provided during the hours of the fixed route servicing the area. An application for acceptance into the paratransit service is required; reservations are required for all users for each trip.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

From what I'm reading, a paratransit rider can only go the same place as the bus or subway. My Access-a ride takes me door to door wherever I have to go in the 5 boros. And I pay $2.00 each way,and your Atlanta rider pays $3.75 each way. Wow, that's a big difference!!!

Hey, I'm learning all about the south. lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote