View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Oh dear, Roxie...

You have, as they say in the nurse trade: Blown a vein!
Did you have any discomfort at all during the infusion, from start to finish? Did you bleed more than normal after they took the catheter out?
IF not, then, well, they are gonna have to use different veins on your wrists and lower forearms...Something they should be doing anyhow...not, NOT using the same vein/line over and over again. "Rotating' should be a rule, but isn't always. And, you do have to keep some 'spots' open for emergencies.
I 'save' my inner elbow joint puncture point for my blood tests and possible emergencies [a place they are gonna either DO or try to do first anyhow]. A good nurse should rotate where they put the lines in.
Now lastly, were you really and truly HYDRATED before you had infusions? IF you forget, well, this is one of those nasty pay-backs that just happens.
As for the pain? I would switch on/and off alternating heat and cold [as much of either you can tolerate] 15-20 minutes on/off for either. I tend to rotate the compresses or gel paks around all the sore spots.
Sure does make a person very grumpy in the interim tho, doesn't it? IF it doesn't go away after the weekend, DO see your doc, and have him check you out. IF pain gets worse over the weekend? Call the doc, and SIGH, expect to be referred to an ER or the like. I don't know about you, but I'd rather wait to see the docs on Monday? Too many sick folks these days in ER's -if you know what I mean.
Let me know how you are doing for the interim and after, please? HUGS! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote