View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 04:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My daughter nr 2 had graves and it was discovered very late, in her twenties in 2000. But she had it way before according to symptoms, but she was never tested for it.
She the was put on antithyroid meds. Stayed on them for a while, and then started thyroxine too as the ft4 was low and SH was climbing.
Then three years ago or so it came back (some months after her doctor stopped thyroxine because of low TSH, TSH is a known trigger of graves...) and this time they were talking about operation or radioactive iodine......she did not want that.
I suggested she try gluten-free. She always had stomach problems anyway.
Some days after she started gf, she got much better and stomach pain stopped. Never heard about the graves again, the antibodies just vanished. She then got a diagnosis of celiac (with negative blood tests and biopsies) and is on some thyroxine (has anti-TPO).
The smallest amount of iodine in vitamin tablets make me sick. But many authorities say about 150µg does no harm. But it bothers me.

Go google for Elaine Moore, she has a couple of websites where she has a lot of articles on graves and autoimmunity and what triggers graves. She also often mentions on the forums she is on wheat triggers graves ans autoimmunity. She always answers on the forums. She told me she is gluten-free too herself.

nora
northernlights is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote