Thread: Pet bereavement
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 05:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Alison,

I am sorry you are going through this. We had to put our Shih Tzu, Chewy, to sleep earlier this summer. It was very hard. The "Rainbow Bridge" website helped me a great deal. But what we had done was through our Vet clinic. They had urns and markers and photo frames. So, what we did was to choose a "Paw Print" with an urn that goes underneath and is attached and sealed...nothing can get in it. And we had his name and birth and death date engraved. We put this in a special place in yard that is already landscaped so it looks more or less like a stepping stone. I should add that underneath the paw print part since the urn itself is smaller, we put his favorite stuffed toy and a couple of other things. And my best friend bought a small plant to plant by his marker as well...it is a miniature hydrangea called "Little Lamb" which is exactly what he was.

Also, there was a fairly think photo frame they gave us for free. On one side is his photo and on the other is plaster cast print of his paw...something they did after he was put to sleep. They also made a paper weight with his paw print and gave that to us as well.

All of it was very tastefully done and I have a sense of closure knowing he is in the back yard and his spirit is free....sort of running and playing like he used to.

Shortly thereafter we purchased two new pups and now have 3 total. Although they do NOT take the place of Chewy they are fun loving and we are crazy about them. But we never forget the other one. I still do cry from time to time and I miss him terribly. But again, I like to think of him or his spirit outside playing with them too.

Again, I am sorry...I know it hurts. But when I look at his photo and some of the things I have placed to remember him...I can and do smile through the tears.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote