Thread: Exercise
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 11:38 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

21? Wow, sorry to hear that.

I am the opposite when it comes to exercise. If I don't work out, then I feel more tired and lethargic throughout the day. I need to work out every day in order to function. I do light weight lifting, stretching, yoga, and other activities.

There are some important things to remember. Be sure you're hydrated before working out. Eat something small, like a banana, before working out. Hydrate through your workout. If you feel dizzy or lightheaded, stop or slow your routine. After working out, eat or drink a little protein. (I do fruit smoothies with protein powder.) Change up your routine. Legs one day, arms one day, aerobics the next day. Always stretch before and after. And add some variety. Take walks outside. Shoot some hoops. Ride a bike.

Exercise is good for you whether you have PD or not. And a good diet is just as critical. I know sometimes it's hard to get motivated when you don't feel all that great. And if you haven't worked out in quite some time, then it's more difficult to start, both physically and emotionally. Like they say, always talk to your doctor before staring any exercise program. But I'm a firm believer that the less you do, the worse you'll feel. But the more you do, while you may feel bad at first, eventually you'll start to reap the benefits of being in shape. And we need all the help we can get while fighting this disease. Good luck!

Todd
PDTalks.com

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote