View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member

Dear Ol CS,

Until we know how the disease is acquired, there is no proof the replacing the neuron dopamine producing cells will bring about a cure. I am sure you are aware of mitochondria, the transport system that delivers the dopamine to the required cells. Alpha synuclein protein tangles block the passage of the dopamine, causing the dopamine to back up in the substantra Niagra and begin self destructing.

This has been a proven scientific theory for years. It is one example of why replacing the cells will not work if we don't know how someone acquired Parkinson's disease in the first place.

I don't think a cure will occur in my lifetime. But I have educated myself and believe I am getting the best treatment possible. I have stopped reading the latest research studies and accepted the disease as a permanent part of my life. I have stopped making my family focus on finding a cure for PD.

We all have to die of something. At least I have lived long enough to see my 3 sons grown and independent. More than likely I will outlive my husband. The thing that scares me most is losing him.

I am sorry your hopes have been dashed that stem cell therapy might have been a cure for some. Don't think for a minute that research has stopped. Some believe that it may actually be caused somewhere else such as the intestinal tract. I believe it is environmental and for some a combination of genes and environment.

Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote