View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 07:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up I think there is a clinical trial for this right now...

only it's not called ECT, it's called tDCS. Just a few zaps! I believe this is what the Beth Israel clinical trial is testing: electrical stimulation of the brain and its effects on pain in people with CRPS.
PILOT STUDY ON SAFETY AND EFFICACY OF THE NON-INVASIVE TRANSCRANIAL STIMULATION TO RELIEVE NEUROPATHIC PAIN IN PATIENTS WITH CRPS
Quote:
The purpose of the study is to determine the efficacy of a new non-invasive completely painless technique called trancranial direct current stimulation (tDCS), to alleviate pain and sensory abnormalities in patients with CRPS/RSD. The investigators predict that 1) the real tDCS stimulation at current intensity 2mA, but not sham(placebo), will result in a significant pain relief, 2) pain relief will be better after repetitive stimulation in comparison with a single tDCS session; 3) tDCS will improve sensory abnormalities (allodynia, hyperalgesia) and motor function of the affected limb.TDCS is based on stimulation of selected parts of brain with direct electrical current of very low intensity of 2 milliampers (mA), using two electrodes placed on the skull.
(I posted the abstract of this study earlier at http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=27587).

From what the doctor doing the trial told my friend S (who is participating), most of the people do get lots of relief, after 5 days of consecutive treatment. How long it will last? they don't know yet. There is a 3 month follow-up assessment, I believe, so there will be study results.

I thought the "zapping" (tDCS) was a temporary miracle for S. She has had RSD since she was 12 (21 years), beginning with a right knee injury, and spreading into both legs, left arm, trunk, neck and head. Her specific symptoms include sporadic inability to initiate movement in right leg, constant migraine, dystonia in hands, arms, face and jaw, and feet; RSD "fits"/ seizures/tremors, adrenalin storms, problems with blood pressure, body temperature, organ involvement of digestive system, heart, AND last but not least unbearable excruciating pain uncontrollable by any medication.

During the trial, she got up to 7 hours per day where her leg pain was down to about a 3 and she could walk around NYC in the afternoon! We had so much fun shopping and eating out at restaurants! She did not even need crutches. But then, after we got back from NYC, the pain relief stopped. According to the study doctor, that was a bad sign (DUH). Most of the other RSD participants had pain relief that lasted after the treatments ended. S isn't sure she'll go back for the second set of treatments... for one thing, the travel (air and hotel and food) cost $3,000! (we never did find a cheap place to stay). Second, well, you all know the second - the despair when treatment doesn't work.

Just thought you all would like to hear the story about the study - there might be a hopeful new treatment coming down the pike!!
"just a few zaps"
mollymcn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote