View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 09:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default To Jocelyn...as I am..

....still in the early stages of exploring CD and gluten sensitivity I am NO expert....however this is one paper I read last night....and remember that this is a 2001 paper so it was published just after you had your 2000 testing done.

From the journal 'Australian Prescriber' Vol 24, No 2, 2001 in an article by Assoc Prof Warwick Selby, Senior Gastroenterologist RPA and U of Sydney he writes:

" The two most commonly used investigations, test for antigliadin antibody (AGA) and endomysial antibody (EMA). These are IgA antibodies. Testing for IgG antibodies is of little value since the sensitivity and specificity are only approximately 50%. More specific tests for antibody to tTG (tissue Transglutaminase) have also been developed and are likely to replace other tests when they become more widely available.

.........80-90% of people with IgA AGA will have coeliac disease; the other 10- 20% have a false positive and a normal small bowel biopsy. Some will have other gastrointestinal disorders, such as Crohn's disease.

Endomysial and tTG antibodies have the greatest sensitivity and specificity for coeliac disease. IgA EMA is found in 95-100% of patients........

There is a need for a Biospy. Antibody testing alone is still not recommended for the diagnosis of CD even though the combination of IgA AGA and EMA/tTG antibody will detect most patients.......

Moreover, if a patient starts a gluten-free diet without having a biopsy the diagnosis may subsequently be very difficult to confirm if there is any doubt. Finally, biopsy confirms the diagnosis for each patient and aids in ensuring the compliance that is required to avoid the nutritional consequences and the risk of malignancy".

I realise that this article is now six years old and there may be some diagnostic changes but I think it belies what your doctor said in 2000 regarding IgG.

Can you ask for the IgA AGA and EMA/tTG antibody tests to be done/repeated?
Megan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote