Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I have not followed all the papers on zinc

use in Parkinson's. But I did find this one today:
Quote:
J Neural Transm Suppl. 2006;(71):229-36.Links
Impact of selenium, iron, copper and zinc in on/off Parkinson's patients on L-dopa therapy.
Qureshi GA, Qureshi AA, Memon SA, Parvez SH.

Medical Research Center, Liaquat University of Medical & Health Sciences, Jamshoro, Pakistan. ghulamali48@hotmail.com

We have quantitated CSF and serum levels of Selenium, iron, copper and zinc by Atomic absorption spectrophotometer in 36 patients with parkinson's disease all on L-dopa therapy. Out of these 19 showed on or positive response to L-dopa where as 21 patients showed on and off response. These data were compared with 21 healthy controls. The results showed that serum levels of iron, copper and zinc remained unchanged where as in CSF, significant decrease in zinc was found in both on and on/off PD patients indicating the deficiency of zinc which continues in the worsening clinical condition of off patients. The level of copper remained unchanged in both on and on/off PD patients. Iron and selenium increase in CSF of both patients which is a clear evidence of relationship between increased iron and selenium level in brain which could be correlated with decrease in dopamine levels and oxidative stress in PD Patients.

PMID: 17447433 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
I would say if any PD patient is taking a drug that depletes zinc... then a supplement would definitely be needed. The most common depleter is ACE inhibitors used for hypertension. Zinc is depleted by hormones, steroids, diuretics, and hydralazine. Zinc Monomethionine is inexpensive and well absorbed with little or no nausea. Nausea can be terrible with the sulfate form. One a day is a typical dose. The brand is called OptiZinc and it is by Source Naturals.

Biotin works in the mitochondria, and enhances carnitine transport into the mitochondria. I could not find a direct reference to Parkinson's and biotin.
Typically 3 mg/daily is used for hair loss.

I would not take mega doses of zinc...without physician supervision, since PD is complex. There are conflicting reports of high/low zinc and many brain syndromes. This has not been clarified much to date.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote