View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Always feel worse

after doing any exercise! But, as David/Wings42 espouses, any exercise is a durn sight better than none? You really encounter vascular/blood and lymph problems if you don't move. The less you move, the worse it can be or get.
The balance has always been with PN'ers to BALANCE the doing to the overdoing. Not an easy thing?

There are lots of passive 'resistance' exercises and Pilates that one can adapt to use at home without lots of 'rich equipment'. Thing is the doing, by starting to do/try things in little bits, not reps of 10x10 but rather reps of 5x5 building up to ten then ten X ten....well snails win this race?

These are two good sites that could help you work on specific areas needing work:
http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/freeexercise.aspx#13

http://www.fairview.org/healthlibrar.../sma_index.htm

If you have not had any PT[physical therapy] at all, this stuff probably won't make sense. Once you have been thru a 'drill' tho, you can figure out what works for your or not.

Neuros usually do NOT think of PT as a frontline defense in self-preservation. Wish they did? But, I have never had a neuro or other doc refuse me a script. Some PT places are zero'es in terms of helping US PN'ers tho...they PUSH AND PUSH too hard in the wrong ways...Sooo. check out area PT sources, and what your insurance covers....Go and Watch a few folks 'get their workouts' and see how the patients are treated, if with respect and knowledge and a good study background in what this all has done to us...you can go much much farther than you think you could. ASK on your next doctor visit....you will probably walk out with an 'order' in your hands.

Alone - I have learned that I need some sort of 'structure' to keep me 'at it'! I have not found any what I would call 'tweener' types of self-directed PT sources out there -where I am, suitable for ME. You might just get lucky. I sure hope so. Some exercises seem silly and pointless in the doing, but really DO help in the long run. - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote