View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Start Walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbygirl312 View Post
Hi again;

I had the surgery on Friday night the 12th after a couple of reschedules. I came home yesterday the 16th. Wow, apparently the surgery went well and they really straightened my spine. The doctor put me on flexeril due to muscle spasms in my back (horribly painful) and hydrocodone. I really want off the pain meds but am not sure that is going to happen this week! I am getting around okay with the help of the brace and my youngest son has been helping me a lot. Thank God for children! Today, I get to shower, I can't wait. I'll keep you posted. For now, I want to go lay down.

Abby
Hello Abby,

I want to encourage you to walk a bunch. In 2002 I had the rods, screw and hip shaving for L5-S1. I spent eight days in the hospital and had to have a transfusion on the last day just to get out. (I had a major shoulder surgery just 10 days before the back surgery and was wearing a protective shoulder brace into the hospital).

After the back surgery, I went home and was in pain and action gingerly for a day and a half. Finally, I said to hell with it and pushed thru the pain that day, walking up and down stairs to my computer etc.

By the end of the day, all the sore surgical muscles had been unstiffened and I was able to function. I went back to work after two days out of the hospital. In order to get my doctor to release me, I had to promise to walk two miles per day. He removed my staples and I was on my way.

Good luck
Bugler is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (05-28-2010)