Thread: Diet?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I lost about 25 pounds several years ago on the Weight Watchers program. At the beginning I counted points and still had a fair amount of sweets each day. However, each year the program guidelines became more adamant about encouraging individuals to limit sweets and "junk" type foods. Fiber and low fat are priorities and several servings per day of fruits and vegetables are also encouraged. If one does this and are also limiting calories in an effort to lose weight, what ends up happening is that you tend to watch every food item that you put in your mouth and try to make it "quality" food.

Even though I'm still a Weight Watcher (love the program), I have taken into consideration my outside readings (very easy to do) when preparing my meals. BTW, the Weight Watcher Core Program has won awards of late. It is basically a program that is low fat, high fiber, low sugar...

Anyway, other materials that I have taken from include information from the following books:

The Real Age Makeover
Michael F. Roizen, M.D.

You on a Diet
Roizen and Oz

You: The Owner's Manual
Roizen and Oz

Heal Your Headache
The 123
Program
David Buchholz, M.D. (NO MSG!)

Sugar Busters

I'm really enjoying the two that I am reading now: Food and Mood and SuperFoods.

I try to make every calorie count; however I do allow myself 100 calories (max) of a sweet treat most days. I don't eat white bread or pasta anymore. I limit sweets. I practice portion control. I eat a lot more vegetables. I've almost eliminated red meat. I try to eat high fiber and low fat. I'm trying to eat more salmon, nuts and more varied vegetables...esp. those with bright colors. I drink lots of water, take vitamins and exercise.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote