View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

sorry to hear about your accident
i will try to answer your questions the best i can
first i have a question when you got your scs did your doctor get you a state card for you. i got one for co and i dont have any problems with tsa people...except for little airports where they seem to send the most clueless security people (they dont seem to be able to read ). if you dont have the state issued card you might want to ask your doc.
i had lower extremity rsd that went into remission for for about 3 years and then i dislocated my shoulder. my rsd didnt jump to my shoulder until after i had surgery and was in a sling. about a week after my surgery my arm started showing symptoms. we finally started looking at my nerves into my arm and discovered that in the same accident i had dislocated my ulnar nerve and it was sitting outside my elbow joint...that was what messed with my nerves and woke up the sleeping giant.
all people are different but my dislocation didnt cause problems and i also had a tramatic dislocation and an incomplete relocation.
i am also having issues with my scs mine is 2+ years old and my issues are 3 months old so they are unable to get the read out off the battery so i am going to have to have it replaced...i wish i had been smart like you are being and get it looked at asap.
the pt it is really important to rehab the muscles that have been ripped up with the dislocation...if you dont a frozen shoulder is a serious concern and the stuff they have to do to return motion will more likely result in a return of the rsd than going to a pt who is aware of your pre existing condition and is treating you accordingly. my pt following the accident was good and i didnt have an rsd flare. every person is different but i would say it is probably be a good idea to at least give pt a shot.
about the meds if your question is whether taking pain meds for an acute injure will cause problems with your rsd i dont believe so. if your concern is that if you start taking narcs and will have a hard time getting off of them when the current injury resolves that will probably have more to do with if following the resolution of the acute injury you need to continue taking meds for an rsd flare...to which i would probably say one bridge at a time.
congrats on the two years of remission and i hope the accident is just a minor bump and things return to normal. it is awsome that your scs was covering all of your rsd stuff...i have 2 and i havent been able to accomplish that feet.
p.s. if there was that much damage in your silverado you are definetly glad you were in such a big machine
Strong mind Strong body
wakegirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote