Thread: Prednisone
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb yes... they do that at first...

I had a nasty spider bite several years ago (it resembled Lyme).

I had to take really high prednisone to take the inflammation down which was considerable (I could barely walk--my ankle). I was really flying along there. It took all the pain away from my arthritis..erased it. I was pretty perky. After the taper, my crabby achy self returned. It did reveal to me how much pain I had everyday, tho, and just must have blocked it all.

When prednisone (it was called cortisone then) came along in the late 40's, it was thought to be a miracle drug. Doctors way overused it and overdosed it.
Many people became manic, and some frankly psychotic! There was a movie made about it even starring James Mason:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049010/plotsummary

So watch out. Today the abuse of anti-inflammatory steroids is less likely, but people on very high doses may react this way, still.
In the short term prednisone is valuable especially for asthma/lungs. If you continue with shortness of breath you could try Singulair...I use this with great success. No steroid actions, it works on inflammation differently.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote