View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 04:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Here is my experience with the Fentanyl Patch. I've had painful idiopathic sensory PN for almost 21 years. The Neruros and others prescibed the anti-seizure drugs like Neurontin and Topomax and many other meds but I never got relief from any of them and I've even tried the newest: Lyrica. So, my Internist asked me about 5 years ago if I had ever been RXed the Duragesic Patch and when I said no he suggested we give it a try. So, I started at the 50 strength but it was not strong enough so we went to 75 strength and on to the 100 strength patch and BINGO!!! The 7 to 9+ level pain I had all those years almost overnight went down to a 2 to 4! Such relief was unbelievable after those earlier years! Sometime during 2006 I noticed the patches were not lasting the full 72 hours so we began changing them every 2 days and the same relief resumed. At the beginning of Mar 07 I noted the pain was increasing again so we added a 25 strength patch bringing the total stregth to 125mcg/h and immediately the pain was again under control. I have become so accustomed to the 2 - 4 pain that I hardly notice it any more.

I do have constipation because the medication is a narcotic but this too is controlled by a combo of stool softner and mild laxative so it's not a problem.

I am now 75½ years old, able to function normally for a person of that age. My eyes are clear, hands are steady, and I drive my car everywhere - literally from one end of the country to the other and all without incident. With my trusty cane and dog I walk 1 - 2 miles most every morning. If it becomes necessary I am prepared to go to 150, 175 or whatever strengths it may take. This med doesn't make me 'high' or zonked out or any other side effect beyond constipation....all I get is blessed pain relief! At my age it's more than likely I will outlive the need for much more increases in the strength of the Fentanyl Patches (the generic form of the Duragesic Patch).

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

DanP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote