View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 04:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Aussie99 - you don't need a huge patch - the medication is absorbed through your skin into your blood stream. I've been using the Duragesic Patch (now the Fentanyl Transdermal System which is the generic Duragesic Patch) for over 5 years with great pain relief. I am now using 1 100 strength patch and 1 25 strength patch for a total of 125 strength changing them every 2 days. On the Mankowski Pain Scale my pain was at the 7 to 9.5 range and it's now roughly a 2 to 4 - a substantial relief.
The only side effect I have is constipation but that is controlled by a stoof softner and mild laxitive so I really don't have a problem with it.

I've had PN and it's horrific pain for over 20 years and tried all the stuff the Neuros were prescribing. I've even tried Lyrica and it didn't help me at all. So, I am staying with the Fentanyl Transdermal System until something better comes along (I was hoping that Lyrica might be the magic bullet). Maybe stem cell reseach, if the powers that be allow it to continue full steam ahead, will come up with something. We can always hope.

Good luck to you and maybe you need to try the Fentanyl Transdermal System patches (these are a little cheaper than Duragesic). If you do, give them a fair trial. Start low and titrate upward until sufficient relief is attained. Outside of constipation I have never had any kind of side effect even though Fentanyl is a strong opiate. I have never felt high or zonked out even though this is a narcotic medication but I presume this is because it's absorbed so slowly into the blood stream.

Last edited by DanP; 10-25-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Phrasing & spelling
DanP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Augie (04-09-2010)