View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 07:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My Social Security Disability claim was approved largely because I had well documented major depression - both diagnosed and under treatment. After I lost my job related medical insurance and applied for another policy, the fact that I was undergoing treatment for depression counted more points against me than my Parkinson's, and I was denied. The insurance industry is well aware of the disabling nature of depression.

Boann, you are strong to have been able to defeat your depression and keep working despite your PD. I, so far, am not able to do so. The PD is one matter; the depression I should be able to conquer.

I do not play nice when it comes to a challenge of the "legitimacy" of depression as a real and dangerous disease. That is what I assumed from your posts; obviously I read you wrong, and I apologize for that.

Here is a music video I made 5 years ago about how I see the impact of "non-motor" symptoms. It has taken years to get the PD organizational establishment to pay attention to us, and to even begin to understand how the so called secondary symptoms of PD destroys lives.

Don't worry - it goes fast, and, hopefully, you'll appreciate the humor
http://www.clognition.org/cccc.htm

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony

Last edited by indigogo; 10-26-2007 at 07:11 AM. Reason: change a word
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote