View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 09:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I will leave the neuropathy-specific replies to those who know more about it. But if you don't mind, I'd like to address some of your fears.

No one has any guarantees in life. You can have great physical health but still not be happy. Or you can have some health challenges but still lead a contented and productive life.

Yes, unpleasant things may happen to you. But they do not have to mean the end of the world. You are probably more resilient than you realize.

I can say from personal experience that it is possible for someone to love you even if you are sick. I became ill just weeks after I married, yet my husband did not fall out of love with me. No matter what happens to my health, I am confident he will continue to love me.

I have become disabled and cannot work, and I do not know how I will pay my bills. But that is not the end of the world either. I do the best I can, and am content to let that be enough.

And that is my main message to you: that as long as you do the best you can with what you have to work with, you don't need to be afraid. If you are completely in remission right now, celebrate that. If you discover you have an ailment that is likely to be lifelong, learn what you can about it and do what you can to stay as healthy as possible, and let the rest go.

The unexpected is a part of everyone's life. The real measure of success in a person is their capacity to adjust after adversity. I can see why your therapist would think reading a forum like this would worsen your fears, but this forum is also full of examples of people who have good lives despite physical pain and illness.

When I first got sick, I feared and despised lack of independence. Yet, when it actually happened, it was far less horrendous than I had imagined it would be. Yes, I would rather be able to take care of myself, but I was surprised to discover that it makes people feel good if they can help you, so I have learned to accept help from others and let them know how much I appreciate it.

And remember, even if bad things happen to you, good things will probably also happen to you. Don't get so freaked out by the possibility of bad things that you fail to enjoy the good. You will still be you, no matter which way it goes.

fanfaire