View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Mrsa

has been around for a while. It has slowly emerged from bath houses/gyms/locker rooms/and hospitals to the general population.

I would expect many many people are already colonized.

What you really have to watch now, are skin injuries/bites.

Picking scabs, trying to break open a pimple or using a needle to lance a boil,
road rash injuries...anything that would push the bacteria into deeper layers
of skin can cause the organism to become a serious problem. Keep skin lesions covered, disinfect with hydrogen peroxide
and put triple antibiotic on them. (that is what I am doing). Wash hands and make sure nails are clean underneath.

In general Staph is not that virulent..unless given a permission slip into the body. I had a non-mrsa staph infection many years ago (almost 30) during a trip to Maine.
A black fly bit me on the eyelid--I did not feel it, and the next day I had a 104 fever. Swollen eye shut...very sick. I almost died from that. If it had been mrsa I probably would not be typing this today.

Little kids are the highest at risk IMO... so schools should be aggressive with cleaning. Try to teach them...no picking of scabs, no picking the nose... which depending on the kid might well be impossible!

Keeping your immune system in good shape is important too. EFAs strengthen the skin, and zinc and selenium do too. So a good diet is very helpful in keeping Staph at bay.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote