View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I'm going to copy some of my therapy and similar self help posts from the cached OBT posts.
might be something of help there.

my post 2005-
When I had PT during ulnar nerve flare up some of the stretches they wanted me do were a bit intense- they said to really push it {the stretch} but I had read some of Sharon Butlers book already so I just did it to a slight tingle stretch and release with slow gentle reps.
If something feels not right for you just modify it to what you can do, the main ideas for most of these books is to keep the blood circulating and slowly keep or increase range of motion. I found a video of Alexander Technique {library} and it does help with whole body use, Feldenkrais, Hellerwork are similar.
Modified Yoga, Pilates moves -- do only what you can change it or make it easier to do until you can increase it.
other things - nutrition, supplements, water, treadmill/ bike

chiropractor - a very good one with many years of experience and continuing education/seminars ect. =esp. if you were ever in a MVA or head/shoulder/neck bump or fall.
after my tingling and numbness in my elbows & fingers went away there was still hypersensitivity, sore spots and swelling for months- some still returns if I over do it, or even sleep with arms bent to much for most of the nite.

now - not much problem with hands -more in neck/shoulders/upper back.

another post of mine-
A PT doesn't always have to be formally TOS trained. But they cannot give a TOS patient any cookie cutter "standard " PT protocol, it just won't work.

If they will listen to you and adjust the therapy to your conditioning and tolerance it may work. { like -not push the weights or stretchy bands until your pain is at a very low level}

Question?
Did most of you that had good or helpful PT, get started off with only heat, ultrasound & massage and then ice after?
Then given the take home stretches that the PT demonstrated the proper form and made sure you did them correctly before leaving?
And had you demonstrate them at each next appt for form?

This protocol was followed until my pain dropped from a 6 to a 2 and then we slowly added isometrics {muscle tense and release} to my tolerance levels.
Then progressed to 1# weights as long as no pain increase and so on with wts. & rep increases from there. Surprisingly my pain dropped to 0 after starting the weights. was mainly forearm pain at that time.

This was when my PT & Dr thought I only had bilateral tendintis in my forearms, wrists, hands, DeQ, tennis elbow, golfers elbow and shoulder impingement/strain.
Then when ulnar sx started they moved up to neck and shoulder PT with the same therapies until sx started to resolve and then began the slow rehab of the shoulder girdle.

That is how it went for me and then I added in the chiropractor and independant PT later on my own for even better results.
I would also get as many RSI, rehab or posture/body work types of books as I could from the library and skim throught them - trying the ideas to see what felt useful to me.
You almost have to pick and choose for yourself because we each have a different version of these conditions.

If you can describe some of your symptoms in more detail -one of us might have found something specific to help for it.
There might be some new info or links that you haven't seen up in the useful sticky thread

Last edited by Jomar; 09-29-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Jomar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote