View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 01:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

One of my daughter's doctors follows McDougall, but my guess is that she doesn't talk much about it with her fellow physicians. She very slender, high energy, happy and healthy. I read his book "The Mcdougall Plan," many years ago. I recall that he avoided or eliminated meat, eggs and dairy. He says that flesh animals are filled with antibiotics and other concerns. He is very down on cholesterol and fat containing foods. If memory serves me correctly, he is big on eating a wide variety of fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts. He encourages chosing all natural foods that have plenty of calcium in them. I don't think he is big on taking supplements, although I think he is more open to taking B12. There is also a book called "The Longevity Diet," written by these folks who claim that calorie restriction helps slow the aging process. They seem to advocate largely raw foods. For what it's worth...what I have done is read several books on the subject, figure out what makes good sense to me, works with health issues, etc. and what I can live with and have incorporated many of these good and healthy things into my lifestyle. You can get creative and make up your own diet, based on what you have read. What you might do (I actually did this one time, semi based on the book Fit for Life) is eat vegetarian every other day. Make sure you eat a high percentage of vegetables every day and a certain number of fruits per day. On the days that you don't have any kind of a typical meat product (like an egg or fish, for example), prepare a vegetarian meals that is high in protein. Perhaps make two days a week "all raw food days." Make your desserts, super healthy...like sweet potato, nuts, bananas...but especially if you are prone to being underweight...you should probalby have dessert every night.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote