View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 02:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

No...but...
I take Topamax for migraine prevention. On the higher dosages, I was depressed and miserable. For me personally, I think this was because the cognitive dulling was driving me right up the wall. I did not feel like the same person AT ALL. I could not function in the same manner. Fortunately, my doctor worked with me closely. I changed my diet and got on some natural treatments that were helpful in terms of migraine prevention. This allowed me to lower my dosage a lot. Topamax still bugs me, but not nearly as strongly.

Depression IS listed as a possible side effect, so you should let your doctor know right away if this is a situation for you. If you have any ideation, you should proceed to the nearest hospital.

If you can't get off of Topa, maybe your dosage can be lowered or you can be given an antidepressant. Sometimes, these medications can be lowered and combined with other things to bring good relief.

Be sure to take extra good care of yourself in any way that you are able. If you are depressed, sometimes this is hard. But as best as you are able, please be sure to eat right and get your rest at night. Exercise when you are able, even if it is only a walk around the block. Again, if Topamax is really troubling you, please be sure to talk with your physician about an alternative.

There are some articles on depression on this website:
http://www.mental-health-matters.com/index.php
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sloane (12-16-2011)