Thread: ? on CIDP
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default This IS GOING TO BE BLUNT.

Neuropathies are either: Toxic, Trauma, Inherited or Acquired.

There is a lot of research being done in the last 3 years [since I got web-wise] that is pointing to the fact that CIDP/GBS is either primarily ACQUIRED or to a far, far lesser extent, a potentially inherited trait. I will be further MORE blunt in the fact that since [tho not proven] that CIDP or even GBS is DEEMED an 'acquired' condition...that once one reaches the 'age for Medicare only' You are out of luck in most states for IVIG coverage for CIDP. As laws are written today...that can change with education and advocacy tho.

First off, re-read the St Louis University stuff...go to the index and see which aspects of GBS/CIDP are inherited or not and I suspect that Alan will not meet the criteria for genetic testing...I know that I either did not meet the criteria for further tests or that my DOCS deemed that the costs were not warranted. Genetic costs are very, VERY,VERY Expensive!!!!!!!! Most docs don't go further as their goal is to Treat, and they are under great pressure to keep all testing and therapy expenses as LOW AS POSSIBLE! Therefore they do not test. Mail order is NOT the way to find out....ever.
St Louis Univ. Index is here: http://www.neuro.wustl.edu/neuromuscular/alfindex.htm
READ THE WHOLE THING! There are variants for each and every condition. AND they all overlap a whole slew of other conditions to boot! Go and confuse yourself. IF I can sort it all out, I am sure you can!

I do know about the genetic test factors because of my cancer last year. Insurance covered the costs but let me tell you it was equal to 3 'rounds' of IVIG therapy in terms of expense. I know that there are many potential 'Inherited Factors' that can/could/do contribute to my issues--BUT I also know that treatment would offer nothing different. It only told me about a possiblity of 'recurrance' [essentially the ODDS?] given my specific gene profile for that particular condition. I won't specifically say how much it cost, but it did have a dollar sign, two digits and a comma before the decimal point. Most genetic testing is ONLY done after a whole heap of review and additional scrutiny about the patient and their situation....Do you want a disability review of both you and Alan because you asked for additional testing? This is something I would talk very long, clearly and thoroughly with my doctors about. You can win in some ways, and then lose big in others... Melody, Just count your blessings that you have good docs trying to do RIGHT by you and Alan, Soo many folks here do NOT!

If it were me? I would chill on the whole issue. Best to keep lots of stuff quiet.
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote