View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Hi!

Sorry to hear you are having worsening problems.

Yes, it is possible that you might test positive today on tests you 'passed' a year or two ago.

It is also possible you could pass the tests again, but would still benefit from a strict gluten free diet. I know it can be tough to commit when there are no tests to back it up but sometimes the pay off is great.

I'd ask the doctor to repeat the blood work for celiac disease, just in case something shows up. If the doctor can't find any other problems, I'd suggest you bite the bullet and commit to a strict gf diet and see if it helps. You might want to consider other foods could be problematic for you, too. Cow's milk, soy, corn, yeast, eggs are commonly problems.

Here is the data I like to offer to the question of whether you can develop celiac later, after a negative test:

Quote:
Among 11 relatives, at the time of the first screening, 6 already had a positive serology and histology for CD, while 5 became positive only after a period of 2 to 5 y of negative testing.
CD can manifest itself after years of negative serological testing

Also: Follow-Up to the Catassi Study -- Scandinavia
Colin, et al, published a follow-up study to the Catassi (Coeliac Disease in the Year 2000:Exploring the Iceberg - University of Ancona, Italy) in the Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology 28(7):595-8, 1993, which demonstrated that approximately one third of the patients from the Catassi Study who had raised antibodies but no villous atrophy, did have villous atrophy when tested two years later. These results raise the number of diagnosed celiacs from the Catassi, et al study to over 1 in 200.

You might also like to read Dr. Fines essay:
"Early Diagnosis Of Gluten Sensitivity: Before the Villi Are Gone" by Kenneth Fine, MD

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote