View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Cara, I have never had diarrhea. In fact, I have irritable bowel syndrome with constipation all the time. Could it still be possible for me to have gluten sensitivity? I was wondering if it was worth mentioning to my doctor to test for it.
Yes, it is still worth checking. Recent studies show only about 30% of newly diagnosed celiacs have diarrhea. Constipation is just as common of a complaint. And some people have absolutely no GI symptoms. If you have IBS... for sure... check on gluten sensitivity. Also keep in mind that you can have gluten sensitivity affecting your gut, skin, nerves, brain, and more... without testing positive for celiac disease.

The antigliadin antibodies are not as predictive of villous atrophy (cornerstone of a celiac diagnosis) as some newer tests (anti-tTG or anti-endomysial), so the antigliadin antibodies have fallen out of favor for celiac testing. BUT... for those who may have gluten sensitivity without celiac disease, the antigliadin antibodies are probably the best test. So, be sure the antigliadin antibody IgA and IgG are included!

I also have some entries about IBS in the gluten file~ in relation to wheat and other food sensitivities. About half of those with gluten sensitivity also have casein sensitivity, and although there is not nearly as much evidence suggesting casein sensitivity might cause neurological disease... I think it is just a matter of time for the science to catch up with appropriate research.

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote