View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 10:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default All of You Have Helped Me Tremendously

Thank you...Adelle, Chasmo, Ol'cs, Birte, Suffolkchris, English Country Dancer and Tena (I hope that I haven't inadvertenly omitted anyone). From all your responses, I have been able to determine and conclude:

(1) Most have had success with Amantadine (to a
greater or lesser degree

(2) The "less is best" guideline seems to apply

(3) Very little cognitive impairment, i.e., if taken
as best "suits" each individual

(4) Listen to your own body

From all that I have gleaned from your responses, we have decided that Doreen will continue the "middle road" with Amantadine, i.e., 200 mg. daily in 2 doses since, at present, it seemingly is controlling (has actually eliminated the dyskinesia(s). She is titrating up slowly with the Sinemet to 4 1/2 - 5 tabs 25/100 daily taken in 3 doses to try to bring about more control of her tremor so that it seems logical, for now, to continue with the Amantadine for this reason alone. IF the dyskinesia(s) return, then, it MIGHT be time to increase the Amantadine to 300 mg. daily...but, until/unless this occurs, she will continue with the lesser dose. Of course, she will discuss this with her "neuro" tomorrow telling him that Dr. Therese has made a change in his dosing recommendations!!!lol He is usually very amiable about these things...and always believes in "less is best" if it brings about the desired results. We'll see just how he feels about my "logic"!!!

All of you have helped me so much...and Doreen, too, to arrive at what we consider to be a good decision.
...and English Country Dancer...I definitely would be interested to know exactly the reason that the neurologist and the PD nurse "frowned on" the use of Amantadine.

Thank you all, again, for so much support...and Doreen thanks you, too.

Therese
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote