View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 03:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default ooops cross purposes

I posted a link (on the Sjogren's forum )to your post about the folinic acid Mrs. D and got this in answer :

" Re: Well Official!!
« Reply #10 on: Today at 11:27:58 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folic acid and folinic acid are NOT the same thing, and each has different uses when added to methotrexate. Folic acid is a protective agent, sparing the liver from the toxic effect of MTX, while folinic acid is considered a "rescue" agent reversing the effects of MTX. The research into the osteoblastic and trabecular bone cell proliferation is valuable, but refers to the recovery of bone marrow function after the use of MTX.
This requires very specific discussion with your doctor, and probably a bone marrow biopsy, to determine if the cause of the osteoporosis is indeed bone marrow failure. If that isn't the case, using folinic acid while taking MTX could inhibit the therapeutic effect of the drug.

Billye, I am so sorry for yet another dose of bad news; but I hope that this spurs the effort to determine WHY you have this much problem with fractures"

So now I have no clue what to do.

Billye
Silverlady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote