View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 12:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcitron View Post
I've had good luck with the Amantadine since I started it back at the end of April. I was given it for the little bit of the energy boost, and it made a big difference in my overall well being. I was peetering out by Wendesday, and groveling through the rest of the week until the weekend so I could rest and regain my strength. I mentioned this to my neurologist, and she prescribed the Amantadine. She started with 200mg and was told to increase to 300mg if I felt it wasn't working. I went for about 5 months on 200mg, and eventually up to the 300mg where I am now. I have not had any side effects from it either including the brain-fog, which is pretty common. Birte I know what you mean about the wooly feeling. Mirapex did that to me.

In the process I also found out what happens when I am off of it. I ran short one day on my prescription, and waited until I was going home from work to pick it up. As usual I ended up staying late, and by the time I left work, I had the tremor in my right hand, my right leg, and my jaw, and on top of that the dystonia started in my feet! That one little red capsule made a big difference!

@EnglsihCountryDancer - I would definitely inquire with the doctor as to why he thinks this is not a good thing to take.

John

Do you mind if I ask what the timings are on a typical day for your 300mg.
I have just increased from 200mg to 300mg and am interested in the timing of
other people taking this amount.

As an aside in the two years I have been taking Amantadine I have had only 1light cold. Now I know as an anti viral drug it was originally approved to help protect people against one strain of influenza and colds are different but it's an interesting coincidence. Especially as my wife is a teacher and brings home plenty of colds for me to catch.

Chris
Suffolkchris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote