View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 05:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Toby,

A few things that might help:

TOS due to cervical ribs has a better surgical success rate than TOS due to trauma or RSI.

From my experience and that of others I have spoken to (or read of), typically when you wake up from surgery you will be ablle to notice a difference already. My arm and hand were warm, much of the constant ache in the upper arm and shoulder were gone. It was really amazing to me!

Once the anesthesia leaves your system and you're a few days out from surgery, you may feel like a Mack truck ran you down. It's not the easiest surgery as far as recovery goes, it's pretty invasive after all, and they have to push and pull things out of the way to cut the rib, avoid cutting anything they shouldn't and do it all through a fairly small incision. The rib cage, muscles, nerves, fascia, and everything else disturbed throws a fit for a while.

The BRIGHT side is this is ACUTE pain - keeping that in mind made it much easier for me to bear it. I knew THIS pain would go away. I could see PROGRESS from week to week. By a month after surgery I felt fairly human again.

My best advice is don't rush your recovery. Listen to your body, and get plenty of rest as that's when your body heals most efficiently. And be sure to ask your Dr about appropriate physical therapy and work restrictions.

best of luck,

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote