View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 06:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

In my experience, gastros. don't suggest gene testing. I don't think they're against it or anything - they just never seem to mention it (and I've seen at least 4 different gastros who knew about our gluten sensitivity issues).

You might want to try this: http://www.finerhealth.com/

It's not completely recognized by the greater medical community but puts some people's minds to rest as to whether they should pursue the diet or not.
Quote:
Many times patients themselves are able to deduce that it is wheat that causes them to feel ill or have intestinal symptoms, but when blood tests are negative they are diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome or sometimes "wheat allergy". It is not surprising to me that blood tests in the early phase of gluten sensitivity are negative. This is because the immunologic reaction to gluten begins and occurs inside the intestinal tract and not in the blood per se. For this reason, I had an idea about a year ago that these antibodies should be more frequently detected in the stool of gluten sensitive individuals rather than in the blood. This turned out to be the case based on extensive analysis of more than 500 normal people or people with various medical syndromes (including bonafide celiacs, patients with microscopic colitis, a form of colitis genetically and clinically related to gluten sensitivity, and patients with chronic diarrhea of unknown origin). Based on this research and its importance, I have brought this new test to the public directly via the internet in a lab called EnteroLab . This new stool test can detect antigliadin antibodies in stool whether a person has symptoms or not. It is ideal for children who do not have to be stuck with a needle. Samples can be mailed from your home without having to go to the hospital or a doctor's office. Furthermore, you can decide if you want to be tested and do not have to beg a doctor to test you for gluten sensitivity.

Thus, because the antibodies produced as the result of gluten sensitivity are mainly secreted into the intestine rather than the blood, analyzing stool turns up many more positive tests than blood tests. It is only when the immune reaction has been present for long periods of time and/or the process is far advanced that antibodies are produced in quantities sufficient to leak into the blood.
hth
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote