View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

I have not heard of that particular company/lab, but several at home kits are on the market now. I would trust it enough to be an accurate anti-tTG test, keeping in mind it is doing a test developed to predict villous atrophy (celiac disease) and a negative result would not rule out gluten sensitivity. A positive result would be quite conclusive (95% and up range). This test would be a starting point, and pretty much a done deal if you'd get a positive result.

Up to 10% (depending upon what literature you read) of those with celiac disease have IgA deficiency. You can also be 'low' in IgA and that might effect testing as well. My daughter is just a few points below the low end value and it gets a tiny bit murkier about how that might affect testing. Total IgA deficiency is defined as less that 7.

You could have your doc run a total IgA test at any time to close that gap.

Celiac Disease and Immunoglobulin A Deficiency... by Kumar, et al.Selective IgA Deficiency -IDF Patient/ Family Handbook

Some studies say that up to 20% of biopsy proven celiacs have negative bloodwork. The diagnostic testing is good, but not perfect. Here is a compilation of abstracts that demonstrate it is not uncommon to have celiac disease and negative blood work. And of course, you can have gluten sensitivity without celiac disease.

Limitations of Blood / Biopsy

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote